Tuesday, September 23, 2008

How do we get there Mom?

Last night for FHE I was teaching the kids about the prophet since conference is coming up. I showed them a picture and then we talked about how Heavenly Father and Jesus are really far, far, away but that the prophet talks with them and tells us what they want us to do. Well Porter was really interested in where Heavenly Father and Jesus are and keep saying "how do we get there"? I kept telling him by listening and obeying the prophet. He had a hard time understanding that so I broke it down in Porter terms. He loves Dora the Explorer and  every time I tell him we need to go somewhere he days "I know, I a map". Then he tells me by holding out his hand and pointing in different directions "second path, fourth path, or second path". Then he always chooses second path and we keep on going. So I told him that we need a map to get to be with Heavenly Father and Jesus again. Our map is from the prophet and the old prophets in the BOM. Finally he seemed much happier with that answer. We told him to always choose the path with the prophet. After we put him to bed last night I kept thinking about his question, "how do we get there?", and I realized that sometimes I get so caught up in the day to day trials and things that distract me but in the end it is so simple. Just listen and follow the prophet. So thanks Porter for the reminder that when my day gets crazy I just need to stop and think, just follow the prophet. My kids are awesome!

4 comments:

faith said...

that's such a good question for all of us to think about. that's really neat.

The Peterson's said...

It is true! Porter is such a great kid. I love how much they really teach us, instead of us teaching them.

boandheidi said...

What a cute story. He is so sweet.

Bree said...

I meant to comment on this forever. What a sweet experience. It really is so simple, isn't it? I love how much you love being a mom and teaching your kids, you are such an inspiration to me! Thank you! :)